Ruby Ferguson wrote one of the best-loved pony series of all: the Jill books. But who was she? This book delves into Ruby’s history and looks at the woman who created Jill.
There is also plenty of information on all of the nine books: publishing histories, illustrators and character lists. And Ruby Ferguson and the Jill Books answers some of the questions Jill fans always ask. Why was Black Boy renamed Danny Boy? Was Black Boy black? Or piebald?
Try before you buy
Download the first classic pony book sampler, where you can read samples of some of the classics of pony fiction. You’ll get a full chapter of:
- Joanna Cannan: I Wrote a Pony Book
- Josephine Pullein-Thompson: Six Ponies
- Patricia Leitch: The Horse from Black Loch
- Diana Pullein-Thompson: I Wanted a Pony
- Marjorie M Oliver & Eva Ducat: The Ponies of Bunts
- Victoria Eveleigh: Midnight on Lundy
Download the classic pony book sampler no 2, edited by Jane Badger, where you can read samples of some of the classics of pony fiction. You’ll get a full chapter of:
- Caroline Akrill: I’d Rather Not Gallop
- Josephine Pullein-Thompson: All Change
- Patricia Leitch: Dream of Fair Horses
- Patience McElwee: Dark Horse
- Hazel M Peel: Night Storm the Flat-Racer
- Marjorie Mary Oliver & Eva Ducat: Sea Ponies
This isn’t a full guide to every British pony book ever, but it’ll give you lists of the major authors and their works up until the 1970s. It’s available as an eBook download for Kindle and Kobo, and as a PDF. The eBook file should work for Apple too.